Monday, March 06, 2006

Light the Lights!!!!

So did you watch the big party last night? I didn’t. Not really. Dropping in and out is the best I can cop to doing. It’s not that I hold Hollywood or the entertainment industry in any type of disdain or anything like that. It’s just that I draw pretty much my own conclusions about my entertainment. And really, after all, they are just people doing their job. Doing their job well, certainly. And their job is to entertain me, right. And for my part I hold up my end of the deal. I enjoy curling up and suspending my disbelief and escape into another’s world. Fact or fiction it doesn’t matter. A good film is a good film. I enjoyed “Monster” as much as I enjoyed “War of the Worlds” I enjoyed them differently to be sure but enjoyed them equally. I think what I have a problem with in general is the fascination with celebrity and pop culture. Entertainers really earn their keep by enduring the public humiliation they endure daily on TV and weekly on the papers that assault us as we check out at the grocery. Now I understand that some of them are media whores (whore is really too nice a moniker some of them are more like media leeches) tangled in some twisted dysfunctional relationship with the paparazzi and the tabloids in general. They are insecure and compulsive about getting their name and face out there in front of us. And like in any other symbiotic relationship the other half (the tabloid press) is more than happy to supply the demand. It has to wear on the hunted, though. Eventually they want a moment of real privacy or genuine peace and they find it’s not to be and wind up further humiliating themselves in some way or another. And the members of the tabs are just bottom feeders slugging along through the dregs and slurping up whatever inane bits of minutia of their quarry’s life they can intrude upon. So I get by casually observing from afar. Bemused at best, chagrined at worst.

No comments: